Mexicos Great Copper Canyon including Phoenix Accommodation Summer 2018
Brochure Type: USA and Canada Costsaver 2018
Four times bigger than the Grand Canyon, Mexico's spectacular Copper Canyon is the backdrop for part of this extraordinary trip, as you travel over soaring bridges on the Train in the Sky. Cross the Sonoran Desert and less travelled regions of Mexico as you learn about cultured pearl farming, silver mining and the beautiful art of Mata Ortiz pottery.
- Alamos Stroll the cobblestone streets, viewing restored mansions and Spanish colonial buildings
- Casas Grandes Learn about the famous pottery made from local clay, formed by the potter's hand and fired on the ground
- Copper Canyon See Mexico's Copper Canyon, four times larger than Arizona's Grand Canyon, from aboard the Train in the Sky, "El Chepe"
- El Fuerte Discover the historical and cultural centre from stunning town square
- Hermosillo See the historic murals on display at the Government Palace
- Paquime Visit this UNESCO World Heritage Site with its extensive archaeological remains, evidence of the vitality of an ancient culture
- San Carlos Enjoy this seaside town, sitting along the shores of the Sea of Cortez, home to desert gardens and beautiful ocean views
- 7 Breakfasts
- 5 Lunches
- 1 Dinner
- Audio Headsets Provided throughout your holiday to enhance your included sightseeing experiences
- Luxury air-conditioned coach
- Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- Variety of Optional Experiences
- An expert Travel Director and separate driver
- All hotel service charges and tips, baggage handling fees and local taxes
- Travel abroad "El Chepe" the Train in the Sky across Mexico's Copper Canyon
Call (888) 637-7529 for more information or to book today! Mention code 13495659
- Tour Operator
- Trafalgar Tours
- Offer valid through 9/30/2017
- 10 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Phoenix||Arrive Phoenix: Welcome to Phoenix. Get settled in at your hotel before exploring Phoenix at your leisure.|
Hilton Garden Inn, Phoenix Airport North
|Day 2||San Carlos||Phoenix - Magdalena de Kino - Hermosillo - San Carlos (2 Nights): This morning, meet with your Travel Director and begin your adventure. Cross the U.S. Mexico border and see the great Sonoran desert open up before you. Keep an eye out for giant saguaro cacti-one of the few places they grow wild. After stopping for lunch in the small town of Magdalena de Kino, travel on to Hermosillo to see the lovely colonial cathedral and the Government Palace, its walls bedecked with murals depicting the history of the Sonoran region. Arrive in San Carlos where the desert meets the glittering Sea of Cortez. Relax and settle in at your waterfront resort on the beautiful Sea of Cortez.Lunch|
Marinaterra Hotel and Spa
|Day 3||San Carlos||San Carlos Sightseeing: Board your private boat for a scenic cruise on the Sea of Cortez and keep a lookout for dolphins, seals and exotic sea birds, such as the blue-footed booby and the great blue heron. Afterward, take a scenic drive through stunning deserts and massive cacti, stopping at Mirador Esce´nico, rated by National Geographic as one of the "Top 10 Ocean Views." This afternoon is free for you to relax or explore the marina and shops.Continental Breakfast|
|Day 4||Alamos||San Carlos - Alamos: This morning, visit the first cultured pearl farm in the Americas and learn all about pearl oyster farming, grading and quality selection. Next, travel south through rich farmlands to the foothills of the Sierra Madre and the quaint town of Alamos. A living museum, the city's cobblestone streets are lined with beautiful Spanish colonial buildings. This evening, enjoy the local flavours of Mexico while dining with your travelling companions in a traditional setting.Continental Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner|
|Day 5||El Fuerte||Alamos - El Fuerte: Stroll the streets of Alamos as your Local Specialist brings the town's history to life. Visit some of the restored mansions built when Alamos' silver mines were among the richest in the world. After lunch, journey farther into the Sierra Madre to the town of El Fuerte. Tonight, experience ancient dances from the Yaquis. See the popular deer dance and other traditional Mexican folk dances.Continental Breakfast, Lunch|
Torres del Fuerte
|Day 6||Copper Canyon||El Fuerte - Copper Canyon (2 Nights): Mexico's Copper Canyon-four times as large as the Grand Canyon of Arizona-looms large in the culture and imagination of this proud country. Board your rail car and start your journey aboard the Train in the Sky, "El Chepe," travelling from sea level to 7,500 feet (2,285 metres) in less than 150 miles (240 kilometres), passing through tunnels and over soaring bridges. Engineers and labourers spent nearly 100 years laying tracks into this rugged terrain and now the spectacular views make it one of the world's most exciting train journeys. Pass alongside the jagged Barranca Septentrion and Urique Canyon as you travel into the heart of Copper Canyon. Disembark at your hotel, situated right on the rim of the canyon.Continental Breakfast|
|Day 7||Copper Canyon||Copper Canyon Sightseeing: Spend the entire day exploring this dramatic area, one of the greatest natural treasures of North America. Learn about the geological forces that created the seven individual canyons, collectively known as the Copper Canyon or "Barrancas del Cobre." Meet the local Tarahumara Indians, a semi-nomadic tribe whose ancestors have lived in the canyon's caves for thousands of years and view their tribe's arts and crafts. An optional gondola ride down the canyon is available this afternoon.Continental Breakfast|
|Day 8||Casas Grandes||Copper Canyon - Guerrero - Casas Grandes: Travel to the village of Guerrero where a stop is made for lunch. The area is rich in culinary resources and apple orchards. Then, travel on to the bustling city of Casas Grandes. This evening, see local artisans who have adapted ancient traditions into a modern style called "Mata Ortiz" with a Local Specialist. Watch master craftsmen design fire pots, using techniques learned over several generations. Continue the evening with an optional dinner or return to your hotel.Continental Breakfast, Lunch|
Hacienda Casas Grandes
|Day 9||Phoenix||Casas Grandes - Paquime - Phoenix: Today, visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Paquime, a great trading centre in the 14th and 15th centuries before the Spanish conquest of Mexico. See ceremonial mounds, the House of the Cross (believed to be a temple and observatory) and the House of the Serpent, where animals were raised. Continue across the Chihuahua Desert into the U.S. and at your Phoenix hotel.Continental Breakfast, Lunch|
Hilton Garden Inn, Phoenix Airport North
|Day 10||Depart Phoenix||Depart Phoenix: Bid goodbye to Phoenix and your newfound friends.|
- For a trip with more exclusive Insider experiences, more included meals and upgraded hotels, see our Mexico's Copper Canyon and Colonial Cities itinerary featured in the USA & Canada brochure.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class